Command "rpt playback" doesn't send to all connected nodes

Not so long ago someone posted “no telemetry means no telemetry”. Duplex=0 is not supposed to pass telemetry. It’s debatable if that’s always desired but it is as intended.

Anyone care to code rfemulation=yes?

Manually playing a sound file is considered telemetry? Really?

Hi Ken,

which also don’t seem to work properly either

We should discuss this in a separate thread. Mine works fine.

Dave
WA1JHK

Please start one and I’ll happily jump in! :grinning:

Hi Tim,

Not so long ago someone posted “no telemetry means no telemetry”. Duplex=0 is not supposed to pass telemetry. It’s debatable if that’s always desired but it is as intended.

I remember seeing that, and that is what’s happening. All generated audio is in the “telemetry” type. Additional discussion required.

Anyone care to code rfemulation=yes ?

That’s an interesting way to do it. I’ll consider that.

[Ken wrote:]

Manually playing a sound file is considered telemetry? Really?

A sound file can be used as telemetry. It can also be used for general distribution. We use it for Newsline on our Sunday net.

Dave
WA1JHK

That’s exactly what I want to do - I’ve used used cron and scripts on my IRLP node for years to automate the download and playing of Newsline, 2 nights a week on my system. I want to get rid of IRLP and use my ASL Pi to do all that in place of it, hence the desire for playback to work correctly and distribute to all the connected nodes

Mornin’ Ken,

The script we use is appended below. Be sure to adjust the node number list and file paths.

Dave
WA1JHK

#!/bin/bash

#This script connects out to each node in the list, and plays the newsline file.
#We don't care which node it runs on, it will ssh in any case, even the local.  That's fine, that way
#this same script can be run from anywhere with no local changes.

#List of nodes to kick this off from
node_list="1301 1308 1310 1315 1317"

for nodeNUM in $node_list
do
        #Get the IP for this node so we can SSH to it.
        #Use asterisk's config file, if this isn't right nothing will be...
        nodeIP=`cat /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf |grep "^${nodeNUM}" |cut -d'@' -f2 |cut -d':' -f1 |cut -d'/' -f1`

if [ ! "$nodeIP" ]
        then
                echo "Can't find IP for node $nodeNUM"
                continue
        fi

#Put the command in a variable -- this is required so we get the quoting right through ssh
        astCommand="asterisk -R -x \"rpt playback $nodeNUM /tmp/news\""
        # test audio astCommand="asterisk -R -x \"rpt playback $nodeNUM carried-away-by-monkeys\""
        # test command # astCommand="asterisk -R -x \"rpt nodes $nodeNUM\""

#OK, go ahead and run the command on the remote node
        #uses SSH port 222 (standard on ACID and DIAL), skips all host key checking
        ssh -q -o "StrictHostKeyChecking no" -o "UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null" $nodeIP "$astCommand"
done

Thanks Dave. That’s what I was looking for

I would have to wonder if your private nodes have these settings in their stanza

telemdynamic=1 ;allow changing of specific telemetry items via cop command
telemdefault=1 ; 0= t off - 1=t on - 2=on after command and shortly afterwards

While I no longer use this, it did work for connected nodes…

8902=Playback,/etc/asterisk/msg/wxfc ; play wx fcst ALL/BROADCASTWRN

Telemdynamic is set to 1 and telemdefalt is set to 0.

So as a test, I set telemdefault to 1 and restarted. Yep, telemetry was working.

So I issued /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx “rpt playback 1100 /etc/asterisk/audio/newsfiles/newsline_5” but it still only played out the local 1100 node.

'tis OK, the ssh option works fine for my purposes

Well, in my old example I used in the old ACID version, I assigned a command to it inside of asterisk with app_rpt
It always worked.
So I was guessing using the command line, one would have to specify the nodes to play on.
Because from a command line that would not be clear.
Inside of app_rpt, it would be.
Just guessing.

Did a simple test on my node 25330 which has no radio connection.

duplex = 0 didn’t play sound on other nodes
duplex = 2 did

Try duplex 2 on your hub and see if it works.

Doesn’t duplex 2 give me telemetry and hang time? I want neither

I installed ssh keys on all my remote nodes so I can ssh to them without a password. As such, I issue the following commands from a bash script to play audio files that reside on each node and it works as I need

/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx “rpt playback 1100 $NEWSFILE”
ssh root@10.48.13.20 “/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx ‘rpt playback 1101 $NEWSFILE’”
ssh root@10.150.180.37 “/usr/sbin/asterisk -rx ‘rpt playback 1102 $NEWSFILE’”

Didn’t you say you were running this command from your hub? There’s not a radio there, right?

Yes, from my hub but there is also a radio connected to it (temporarily) as one of my repeaters doesn’t have MESH yet and it still depends on an RF link

You could create another node with no radio and well… you get it. But you’re happy with your ssh solution. And I’m happy knowing that duplex 0 was the issue, like I said in the beginning. :slight_smile:

If I were reading better…
I would have noticed du[lex=0 and no telemetry means no telemetry as I said that…
LOL

Yes you said that, you The Man!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.