Beta2rel6 multiple problems WYSE 3040

Hi, first, I’m moving this discussion from another group because I don’t seem to be getting enough eyes on it there; I’m dead in the water until I do.

So I’ve installed this version twice on a Dell WYSE 3040 Thin Client and I’m running into multiple specific problems; 1) WiFi disappears once the install is complete. Manual re-config consistently fails. 2) Changing the root password doesn’t stick. Whether through the ASL menu or at the command line, no joy. 3) SSH config disappears though changing the port DOES stick. I suspect something permission-related but I haven’t tracked that down yet.

Anybody ever experienced anything like this…?

I wonder if you could detail this a bit.
Meaning it did work during install ? And and not after ?

Perhaps you have an issue with which of the soft bios/grub bootloaders locations are being used. And that is a bit hard for me to iterate to make you understand if you do not already. I will try to find a web link…

Lots of reading. Sorry.

You know what… I got impatient and instead am trying to install from source over Debian Bullseye 11.3 (following the suggestion that Dave, N9-something documented [sorry, Dave; brain overflowing] for his Radioless Node project on here) Anyhow, the alternate install from source for Debian 10/11 barfs trying to install dependencies. I think the problem is that since the extended command to ‘apt install’ all those dependencies is vertical, I can’t paste it properly, and is FAR to long to type out. This is on github, FYI. My brain is turning to mush with all the back/forth between the Debian 11 WYSE 3040, my laptop and my phone. Maybe if you know of a more up-to-date recipe to install beta-2 from source to Debian 11.3…? Thanks.

-Bob
KK6RQ

ps. That Linux on WYSE doc isn’t actually that long; in fact, it cleared up one of the issues I had trying to installl beta2r6; Just have to figure out how/where to put the firmware file that’s hosing the wifi/networking. Bullseye tells you what file, where to put it, etc.; Buster (or the ASL installer) says nothing… Thanks for the tip.

I bought several Wyse Dell 3040’s off of ebay. Had to learn how to disable the PW on the Bios. Also had to use a live install Debian 10 netinstall os. Enable root login. Seems like I may have had to use a boot rescue after the install to get it to boot. No desktop (not enough disk space - 7.8gb). No problems with an allstarlink install from the repo. PW’s stay put, etc. I did not use the beta image - did a repo install. Seems like the net debian install was missing lots to little things - ssh server, net-tools and such - nothing major - just lots of little stuff - once setup has been trouble free. de nu5d http://cloud.nu5d.org:82/supermon/link.php?nodes=559821

So you were installing ASL 1.01…?

-Bob
KK6RQ

Anyway, here’s my progress…

Since the Debian 11.3/ASL2 from source is at a standstill, I’ve doubled back to trying the ASL2br6 image route. The previous problem had been absolutely no reference to my built-in ethernet/wifi hardware during the install (yet it still managed to get files off the internet DURING install); well, I finally figured out how to get the “non-free firmware” (ie. the drivers it supposedly needed) onto the boot media. NOW it explicitly asks which interface I want to use, the built-in ethernet or built-in wifi; I select the wifi and we’re off to the races. Once the install is complete, I’m back to no networking again. I’ve tried manually bringing the interface up (which is successful) but no network to talk to. I’ve even done a factory wipe (in the BIOS) but same result. I’m at the end of my knowledge when we get to manual networking commands. Grumble.

EDIT: dsmesg shows HUNDREDS of segfaults for app_rpt.so (the same one over & over).
Built-in diagnostics find no errors with eMMC or RAM.

-Bob
KK6RQ

ps. If anyone with those chops has the time or inclination, feel free to connect to 27269 and call me.

After the Deb 10 install (did not try with deb 11) - I followed the install in existing -

Install from ASL Repository

As an alternative to installing the ASL image, you can install Debian 10 (or not supported 11) yourself and then add the ASL repo. This is the recommended procedure to install on a VM where a .iso cannot be uploaded. The DAHDI package can be finicky with newer kernels and this won’t work if the Linux headers don’t match the Linux kernel.

Install the ASL Repository

As root (or with sudo) run the following commands to install the ASL repo. Overwrite the keyring file if prompted.

apt update apt install curl gpg cd /tmp wget http://apt.allstarlink.org/repos/asl_builds/install-allstarlink-repository chmod +x install-allstarlink-repository ./install-allstarlink-repository

Install ASL

Next as root (or with sudo) run the following commands to install ASL.

apt -y install linux-headers-$(uname -r) apt -y install asl-asterisk apt -y install allstar-helpers apt -y install asl-dahdi-linux apt -y install asl-update-node-list

1 Like

I’ll be dipped; that method worked! (Only to find that I miswired something in the radiolesss node I built for it… but I can sort that out). I had previously seen this recipe on the Allstar Wiki but had thought it was ASL 1.01. Obviously, the newly installed system I can see it’s 2.0 beta. So thanks for that.

-Bob
KK6RQ

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.