ASL/Pi4 Status?

Have been running ASL on Pi3B+ for a few weeks. I am not impressed with audio quality - quite a lot of burbling, gaps and delays. I’d like to run Allmon on it as well as a few other apps, but I believe the Pi3 is not up to the challenge.
I obtained a Pi4 in anticipation of a formal release of ASL/Pi4. What is status of that effort?
Thanks to all who support the ASL adventure.
Gary W5BI

There are guys working on both the stuttering audio issues and Pi4 build testing right now.

It is just a work in progress. Marshall may have some better information to relay.

Meanwhile - and just my 2 cents, but I found keeping the Pi2/3 down to simply serving as a node (no more than 2x nodes on same Pi), connecting Pi nodes to a non-Pi (reliable) Hub node, and running the other services (Allmon, audio streaming/archiving) on the Hub node’s web/file system work greatly in my case. Hub node in my case is a radio-less virtual machine running same ASL. “It just works”

I too am all for seeing the Pi4 build and witnessing the capabilities the new hardware brings us for consolidated run of services however.

Byron

I am feeling very good about the direction things are heading right now with regards to the open-source software image release of the Pi4.

I am cautiously optimistic but do not want to raise everyone’s expectation on when we will have the image ready for release.

As it stands right now, we have a team of beta testers that are doing a good job at testing things out and finding bugs. There is testing being done almost every day.

We also have one person that is working as much as he can on optimization of the OS and hardware for the Pi4 and we are having very good results. He is a talented guy and he is doing this project as he has time in between his real job and family commitments. His updates are being made to the test OS on a daily basis for testing. (We could use more help in this area)

We have made some priorities for the software image release for the Pi4.

First goal was to make the audio sound good with the simpleusb channel driver so there is no occasional garbled, stuttering audio on voice, telemetry or announcements.

I am happy to say this goal has been accomplished! (The audio now sounds as clean as I have ever heard from any ASL node and with no glitches!)

The second goal was to be able to use more than one USB sound fob on a single Pi. We are currently working on this right now.

The third goal was to make a single image that is compatible with the Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4 which we are working on right now.
We may end up having to use a specific image for specific hardware versions of the Pi. Time will tell.

At the completion of these items we will be in a position to release an image.

When that time frame is we cannot say, remember it is a hobby.

And we do this for fun, free and in our spare time.

Maybe something good will come out of this self-quarantine!

Marshall - ke6pcv

···

From: Byron Felts via AllStarLink Discussion Groups [mailto:noreply@community.allstarlink.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:30 AM
To: ke6pcv@cal-net.org
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL/Pi4 Status?

k4sip
April 14

There are guys working on both the stuttering audio issues and Pi4 build testing right now.

It is just a work in progress. Marshall may have some better information to relay.

Meanwhile - and just my 2 cents, but I found keeping the Pi2/3 down to simply serving as a node (no more than 2x nodes on same Pi), connecting Pi nodes to a non-Pi (reliable) Hub node, and running the other services (Allmon, audio streaming/archiving) on the Hub node’s web/file system work greatly in my case. Hub node in my case is a radio-less virtual machine running same ASL. “It just works”

I too am all for seeing the Pi4 build and witnessing the capabilities the new hardware brings us for consolidated run of services however.

Byron

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

W5BI
April 13

Have been running ASL on Pi3B+ for a few weeks. I am not impressed with audio quality - quite a lot of burbling, gaps and delays. I’d like to run Allmon on it as well as a few other apps, but I believe the Pi3 is not up to the challenge.
I obtained a Pi4 in anticipation of a formal release of ASL/Pi4. What is status of that effort?
Thanks to all who support the ASL adventure.
Gary W5BI

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Hi,
I am new to both Allstar and Raspberry Pi, but have got a complete Raspberry pi 4 B
set up with correct PSU etc. I have already registered on Allastar and have a node number and password. I have loaded the .img file onto a clean SD card using the Win32diskmanager but the file will not load up in the PI4. I conclude for the above replies to the original post that at this moment PI4 B is not yet supported. I appreciated the effort you guys are putting in to work on this but wonder if you have any progress report.
Your efforts are appreciated