ASL on a RPi stopped working- need basic dependency troubleshooting help

I checked my ASL status after it stopped working and it reports:

Nov 01 15:13:09 KK6QMS-ASL-48654 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Asterisk PBX and telephony daemon.
Nov 01 15:13:09 KK6QMS-ASL-48654 systemd[1]: asterisk.service: Job asterisk.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

I need some guidance as to how to proceed with troubleshooting. Thx.

Clifford - KK6QMS - 48654
RPi3 - Rasbian - ASL stock distro

Check if dahdi is loading:
As root:
lsmod | grep dahdi

Did you do a update/upgrade?

Steve N4IRS

That command produces no output- just acts like a carriage return.

I rebuild DAHDI after each upgrade/update with:
dpkg-reconfigure asl-dahdi-linux-dkms

DAHDI has been problematic many times in the past. Yes I did an upgrade/update recently.
Thx

The readme included with the images has notes on pinning the kernel and kernel headers.

Steve N4IRS

UGH- is there no way to encapsulate what is needed for DAHDI or whatever breaks? Holding back updates seems archaic. I cannot even update the ASL or overwrite it- there is an image online for the entire OS but no single ASL package I can easily manage/remove/install. I don’t have the time or interest to go down this hole every time I want to update my sytem. No ASL for me for awhile. And am leaving town today was looking forward to connecting back to my home repeater system which uses RTCM boxes not a bunch of RPi freaking out every time there is an update. Grrr.

[rant] Man I hate Linux. I know it is great/free/open source and you can do all the neat things with it but for folks like me I just don’t have an interest in learning it to the level I can easily troubleshoot and manage. Even basic tasks like finding your ip address etc require installing new things or knowing the cmd line strings to locate etc. I truly wish there were a tiny free version of Windows that would run on a Pi.I can just get things done and get on with using the tool not managing the tool. I can have a BPQ station up from scratch on Windows in 10min. On a Pi it is a whole different story. Same with ASL. Honestly it is very obvious why HamVoip is so popular. It just works.[/rant]

I went to the dark side. hamvoip. Installed and running in very little time. Makes me sick to use it but it works and is easy to set up. I suspect I will switch back at some point. But maybe not. 73

Sooo- only used hamvoip for a few days. Finally a few days ago loaded ASL image and actually had it set up pretty quickly. Really satisfying and even had IAX and Echolink going too. I guess all the time I have spent and all the great info online have worked for me. I will not upgrade/update at all though. Nope. Not gonna do it. I did come across a DAHDI dummy workaround here on the forums. I am not sure if I will ever try it. I would like to put Allmon2 back on but think I would have to do and update in that process.
Glad to be running the version that IMO honors and continues Jim Dixon’s vision.
Thx
Clifford
KK6QMS

1 Like