ASL_1.01 on a Raspbian 10 "Buster" OS

Hi all,
Have someone on the group successfully installed ASL_1.01 on a Raspbian 10 OS?

After a “Buster” initial install I have tried to use this set of instructions published on the ASL FAQ but always get a ASL missing dependencies message.

Can ASL be installed on an existing Linux install, for example on a VM running Debian?
Yes it can. More information to follow. But if you have no other option you could do this:

cd /tmp
wget http://dvswitch.org/install-allstarlink-repository

chmod x install-allstarlink-repository
./install-allstarlink-repository

If Raspbian: apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers -y

Otherwise: apt-get install linux-headers-uname -r -y

apt-get update
apt-get install allstarlink -y

This is the error message that I an getting:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
allstarlink : Depends: asl-asterisk but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any suggestions on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Alberto KP4AP

As I recall the latest Raspian won’t work with DAHDI (an important piece of Asterisk). Instead of the procedure you user, just to an image install.

The image is in the Downloads on our WiKi.

Thanks for your replyTim. I will try to do a ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-raspbian-stretch-image install hoping that this new Pi 4B device will work with raspbian-stretch.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

···

From: Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Sent: Saturday, September 7, 2019 12:50 PM
To: alberto_e_puig@hotmail.com alberto_e_puig@hotmail.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL_1.01 on a Raspbian 10 “Buster” OS

wd6awp
wd6awp

ASL Admin

September 7
As I recall the latest Raspian won’t work with DAHDI (an important piece of Asterisk). Instead of the procedure you user, just to an image install.

The image is in the Downloads on
our WiK
i.

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

Unfortunately the Pi 4 is not supported. You have to use HamVoIP.

A couple of the ASL team members are working on a Pi4 image, hope to have it out if all goes well in the next few weeks. I’ll try to let you know once the BETA is available.

Mike

Kb8zgl

···

From: Tim Sawyer via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Reply-To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+d6dddd183cb2ab556688cf1b5d2f00a9@community.allstarlink.org
Date: Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 3:49 PM
To: Michael Wolthuis wolthuis@gmail.com
Subject: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL_1.01 on a Raspbian 10 “Buster” OS

wd6awp

ASL Admin
September 7

Unfortunately the Pi 4 is not supported. You have to use HamVoIP.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Alberto_E_Puig

September 7

Thanks for your replyTim. I will try to do a ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-raspbian-stretch-image install hoping that this new Pi 4B device will work with raspbian-stretch.
[image] Virus-free.

www.avast.com
···

(click for more details)

Visit Topic or
reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

click here

Thanks Michael - KB8ZGL for letting all of us know. We will patiently wait for the results.

Alberto - KP4AP 73

Thanks again for your reply Tim.

Alberto - KP4AP 73

Hi Mike kb8zgl

Any news on a ASL Pi4 image?

Thanks.

Alberto KP4AP 73’

Sorry, been slammed at work all week, the Pi4 is burning in and I am working to get the image working.

Mike

···

From: “Alberto E. Puig via AllStarLink Discussion Groups” noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Reply-To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+4db8063c511a5f636d5f8682d26d84bf@community.allstarlink.org
Date: Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Alberto_E_Puig

September 22

Hi Mike kb8zgl

Thanks.

Alberto KP4AP 73’

In Reply To

kb8zgl

ASL Admin
September 7

A couple of the ASL team members are working on a Pi4 image, hope to have it out if all goes well in the next few weeks. I’ll try to let you know once the BETA is available. Mike Kb8zgl ···
(click for more details)

Visit Topic or

click here

Ok…thanks for your efforts Mike.

73’ Alberto

Just to update everyone, not only does work stay in the way of the hobby, but also, Buster is a pain…. The kernel is much newer than previous successful ASL builds, but we are working on it still.

I hope to have some more time this coming weekend to keep at it.

Mike

Kb8zgl

···

Date: Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM
To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+4db8063c511a5f636d5f8682d26d84bf@community.allstarlink.org
Subject: Re: [AllStarLink Discussion Groups] [App_rpt-users] ASL_1.01 on a Raspbian 10 “Buster” OS

Sorry, been slammed at work all week, the Pi4 is burning in and I am working to get the image working.

Mike

From: “Alberto E. Puig via AllStarLink Discussion Groups” noreply@community.allstarlink.org
Reply-To: AllStarLink Discussion Groups replies+4db8063c511a5f636d5f8682d26d84bf@community.allstarlink.org
Date: Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Alberto_E_Puig

September 22

Hi Mike kb8zgl

Thanks.

Alberto KP4AP 73’

In Reply To

kb8zgl

ASL Admin
September 7

A couple of the ASL team members are working on a Pi4 image, hope to have it out if all goes well in the next few weeks. I’ll try to let you know once the BETA is available. Mike Kb8zgl ···
(click for more details)

Visit Topic or

click here

Alberto,
There is a working Pi4 image up on community as of today, it is very ALPHA?BETA? but it does work.

Needs feedback.
Mike
kb8zgl

IT seem to have vanish… I wanted to download it but google drive say it is not available

Le ven. 17 janv. 2020 à 10:38, Mike Wolthuis via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org a écrit :

···

kb8zgl

ASL Admin

January 17

Alberto,

There is a working Pi4 image up on community as of today, it is very ALPHA?BETA? but it does work.

Needs feedback.

Mike

kb8zgl

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sorry guys, I made a mistake and the image was not quite ready. It had some stuff in it that needed to be cleaned out. It is getting rebuilt and hopefully back available shortly.
Mike

Any update on this?
I am happy to help testing and confirming the image if needed.

1 Like

I am happy to test on the 4/Buster version as well. My experience is that, on the 3B, ASL1.01 has random breaks in the audio every couple of minutes - both simple USB and USBRadio channels. The breaks can be reduced in frequency and duration by going to a higher-performing platform.

Attached one example where several breaks in a row happen while transmitting a continuous test tone with RPI:

This kind of break is quite annoying to listen to.

By switching to a Mini-PC with perhaps 3-4x the CPU power of a Raspberry, I was able to reduce breaks to a single 20 ms break every 3 minutes or so.

I have added the dahdi-dummy module into this system (as described elsewhere) but this has no effect on the breaks. It seems these are not frame-timing errors, but rather seem to be cases where the computer is simply not able to supply audio to the URI as fast as it is being “consumed”.

I don’t remember having this problem with the old ACID system on a low-end Atom board, but I did not do tone testing on that one.

Lastly, I should mention that the HamVOIP Raspberry PI distro is absolutely break-free with Simple USB (running on ARCH Linux). Either they have figured out what the problem is, or it’s the OS.

Ken

Is there any progress on installing ASL on Buster? I have working HamVOIP solution but the OS is a little old and I really want to go Raspian with a GUI interface to help with editing of .conf files. Gotten spoiled I guess, but there is a lot that I want to try with ASL and a Pi 4 with Buster seems the best choice going forwared.

jb N4NQY

Hello,
I’m in the process of setup on a Pi4, can we confirm ASL does not have issues on this device.
Thanks,

Currently the ASL 1.01 image does not support the Pi4. There is work currently being done on a new image that will support the Pi4. There is no time frame on when that image will be out.

In development. If you want to download from GitHub I’d suggest using the commit from may 18th and the updated compiling instructions are on the wiki.

Marshall

···

On May 22, 2020, at 6:29 PM, VE3WZW Andre via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org wrote:

VE3WZW

May 23

Hello,
I’m in the process of setup on a Pi4, can we confirm ASL does not have issues on this device.
Thanks,

Previous Replies

nqy

May 21

Is there any progress on installing ASL on Buster? I have working HamVOIP solution but the OS is a little old and I really want to go Raspian with a GUI interface to help with editing of .conf files. Gotten spoiled I guess, but there is a lot that I want to try with ASL and a Pi 4 with Buster seems the best choice going forwared.

jb N4NQY

Ken_Jamrogowicz

January 26

I am happy to test on the 4/Buster version as well. My experience is that, on the 3B, ASL1.01 has random breaks in the audio every couple of minutes - both simple USB and USBRadio channels. The breaks can be reduced in frequency and duration by going to a higher-performing platform.

Attached one example where several breaks in a row happen while transmitting a continuous test tone with RPI:

This kind of break is quite annoying to listen to.

By switching to a Mini-PC with perhaps 3-4x the CPU power of a Raspberry, I was able to reduce breaks to a single 20 ms break every 3 minutes or so.

I have added the dahdi-dummy module into this system (as described elsewhere) but this has no effect on the breaks. It seems these are not frame-timing errors, but rather seem to be cases where the computer is simply not able to supply audio to the URI as fast as it is being “consumed”.

I don’t remember having this problem with the old ACID system on a low-end Atom board, but I did not do tone testing on that one.

Lastly, I should mention that the HamVOIP Raspberry PI distro is absolutely break-free with Simple USB (running on ARCH Linux). Either they have figured out what the problem is, or it’s the OS.

Ken

Va3psl

January 22

Any update on this?
I am happy to help testing and confirming the image if needed.

kb8zgl
ASL Admin

January 19

Sorry guys, I made a mistake and the image was not quite ready. It had some stuff in it that needed to be cleaned out. It is getting rebuilt and hopefully back available shortly.
Mike

Pierre_Martel

January 17

IT seem to have vanish… I wanted to download it but google drive say it is not available

Le ven. 17 janv. 2020 à 10:38, Mike Wolthuis via AllStarLink Discussion Groups noreply@community.allstarlink.org a écrit :

··· (click for more details)

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Hello Guys , im new in the community and im very interested in made contributions to the project , today i did all the compilation and adjustments in my Rpi4 , currently my config is a foobless “dahdi/pseudo” because i dont have the simple_usb hw, and when i run asterisk… looks like my node is registered but i dont have anything to test :slight_smile: hehehe… , and also im not sure how to check if my node is alive or not …Node 52458 …

Maybe im doing stupid things …, please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

73 !!